16 agosto 2017

jessica sequeira

Alazán


The alazán is a kind of reddish horse
with a gold mane that lives
in Argentina. I started reading about it
because I didn’t know whether
to translate it as “sorrel” or “chestnut”
(although even then I knew
its essence went beyond its name).
It’s a proud animal, it walks with head high,
it paws the ground, it shakes off flies.
It whinnies when a human approaches,
it’s very independent, it’s wary of contact.
It has big eyes and often stands
quite still looking at the landscape.
When someone walks up
with an outstretched hand full of oats
it doesn’t immediately nose forward,
but swishes its tail then leans down
with dignity. It’s a very magnificent creature,
so magnificent I realized I could
no longer live without one. The imaginary
was coaxed into the real. Now I spend
as much time as possible with my alazán.
Sometimes I give its mane tiny haircuts
and brush out its shining tail. Sometimes,
and these are my favorite times, it goes
running over the grass very fast,
very very fast, and I think it is happy.
I sit and make sketches of it in motion,
every sketch different, never a repetition
diversion and stillness—
and seeing it so happy makes me happy too.
Alazán, alazán. So proud and free.
Don’t be afraid to walk my way in the pasture…
the way is gentle, the gate is open.


Alazão

O alazão é uma espécie de cavalo avermelhado
de melenas douradas que conheci na Argentina.
Comecei a ler sobre o alazão
porque não sabia se era melhor
traduzi-lo por “azedinha” ou por “castanha”
mesmo sabendo nessa altura
que a sua essência trespassava
o seu nome. È um animal orgulhoso;
anda de cabeça altiva
espermeia o chão, livra-se das moscas
ou relincha quando se aproxima um humano.
É muito independente e suspeitante de todos os contactos.
Tem grandes olhos e gosta de ficar
muito quedo, olhando a paisagem.
Quando aparece alguém com um punhado
de aveia, não a come
de imediato, antes abana a cauda
e depois inclina-se com dignidade.
É uma criatura maravilhosa, tão maravilhosa
que compreendi que não conseguiria viver sem ele.
O imaginário era persuadido a entrar no real.
Agora passo muito tempo com o meu alazão.
Às vezes corto-lhe um pouco o pelo
a sua melena, e escovo-lhe a sua cauda radiante.
Às vezes, e são os meus tempos favoritos,
corre pela relva altamente veloz
muito muito veloz e penso que está feliz.
Sento-me e faço desenhos dele
em movimento, cada desenho diferente,
nunca uma repetição, diversão e repouso -
e vê-lo assim feliz, faz-me também feliz.
Alazão, alazão. Tão orgulhosos e tão livre.
Não receies andar ao meu lado
no ervaçal. O caminho é ameno,
a tranca está aberta.